From Pastor Janine
Jesus teaches through parables. Like the first disciples, we may be confused and frustrated with the way he conveys important truths. They wanted concrete instructions and actions. So do we. But, God’s “kin-dom” project doesn’t follow a simple or linear trajectory. Let’s consider how that is not a bad thing. Download this week’s bulletin and read the passage from Mark’s gospel for yourself. What do you think?
We celebrate Chenda’s ministry with us this weekend, with two different opportunities to do so, in person. Scroll down for the details. We also surround her, and her family in prayer as they mourn the death of her beloved aunt.
Everyone is asking about details for our return to worship in the church building. Our plans for July 4th are underway. Guidance for attending is coming soon. As of this writing, it seems that we won’t have any capacity limitations or restrictions on singing. Masks are optional, but encouraged for those who have not been vaccinated. Also, get ready for the return of our ice cream and lemonade social time; outside, of course!
Honoring Pastor Chenda
Although Pastor Chenda has been with us only for one year, we have been blessed by her presence. We send Fairlington’ s best wishes for her family’s future in their new home in Pittsburgh, where her husband, the
Rev. Dr. Asa Lee, assumes the presidency of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary.
Love Offering for Pastor Chenda
To celebrate Pastor Chenda’s ministry with Fairlington United Methodist Church, we are collecting a love offering. You can contribute to this offering
- by making a check or cash donation to FUMC and denoting “Chenda Love Offering" in the memo line. Please send checks to the office at 3900 King St., Alexandria VA 22302
- via E-giving. Go to https://fairlingtonumc.org/give/donate . Select “Other” on the on-line menu and write “Chenda Love Offering."
Please note that donations to this love offering are not tax deductible.
For more info EMAIL ASHLEY HERE
to print out a flyer click here.
Prepared by the
FAIRLINGTON UMC LEADERSHIP TEAM
• Caring for Creation—In collaboration with trustees the Van Dorn Habitat (“wilderness”) was improved with the installation of 5 native trees and 17 native shrubs.
• Rent Security Deposit Program—Support was continued for those experiencing housing insecurity during COVID-19, including collaborations with Christ Church in Old Town Alexandria.
• ALIVE!—FUMC has continued to support West End Lazarus and ALIVE ministries with funding, as well as food, cleaning materials and equipment, and other requested support.
• Immigration—FUMC supported Just Neighbors and assisted in refugee resettlement with Trinity UMC. In 2021 FUMC contributed to West End Lazarus eﬀorts to help refugee families (primarily from Afghanistan) to apply for relief beneﬁts and meet basic needs during COVID-19.
• Vaccine Sign Ups FUMC members have been helping older adults register to receive COVID-19 vaccines. If you know of older adults who need help registering for COVID-19 vaccines please Contact Christian White.
• The Senior Ambassadors have been checking in on some of our 65 plus members who have been unable to be out and about due to COVID-19. click to continue.